Power = the ability to make others do what you would have them do.
Main 6 sources of power :
- Physical Force
- State Action
- Social Norms
3 Laws of Power (How power is operated) :
- Power is never static
- Power is like water
- Power is compound (also powerlessness)
What can you do to become more powerful?
Learn to read power so you may write the power
- Map out who has what kind of power, arrayed in what systems
- Understand why it turns out this way, who made it so, and who want to keep it so
- Study the strategies others in such situation used (frontal attack or indirection, coalitions or charismatic authority
- Believe you have to right to write
- Speak up in the voice that authentic
- Organize your ideas, then organize other people
- Practice consensus building
- Practice conflict
Set objectives, then bigger one -> Watch the pattern, see what works -> Adapt -> Repeat = Citizenship
Power + Character = A great citizenship (and you have to power to be one).